Tuesday, July 13, 2010

familiar scent..

Lately, Stevie and I have had a pile of lumber sitting behind our house, waiting for it to turn into a deck. Each time I walk past it, I smell the delicious scent, and it reminds me how much I loved going with my dad to hardware/lumber stores when I was little. I have always loved the smell of lumber...

That gets me thinking, though! Jesus was a carpenter -- I wonder if the smell of wood made him smile. I wonder how much he loved the feel of it ... how much pleasure did he take in creating each piece of furniture, ladder, etc??

I smile as I sit here and think, "this is something I must have in common with Jesus.."

I'm blessed to know that God took joy in creating me. That He knew me before I was formed in the womb... before the idea of 'me' ever occurred to my parents.. He saved me from the scrap pile and turned me (...not just me - all of us!!) into a masterpiece.

Thank you, God for crafting each of us into creations with purpose!

1 comment:

  1. I love the imagery, Jenny. I'm very familiar with the Potter and clay image, but the Carpenter and the lumber (or hand-hewn wood) is a fresh take. Crafted with Love and Purpose. Beautiful! oh, by the way....the lumber won't ever turn into a deck on its own. But it sounds like you will enjoy helping with the building of it, crafting the deck with love and purpose. Many family and friends will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete